DO IT TREE!

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

buckling

I'm not saying I get pushed around easily, but those who know me best call me "shopping cart." (Both for that and my ability to hold massive quantities of produce.) The social awkwardness that accompanies any recent Tom Cruise interaction makes me cringe - even second-hand. So when confronted with those who confront me, I tend to waffle like a Belgium and give into whatever their demand. I should also not, this tendency to captilulate is inversely proportional to my familiarity with the confronter. I'm now realizing it took me a whole paragraph to admit that I'm a sissy.

At any rate, yesterday at lunch I was eligible for a free sub from Charley's Grilled Sub Restaurant/Stand. Hell, I'd earned it. Seven card punches = 1 free sub. I went up to the counter and ordered, all the while trying to hand over my punch-riddled card. Angry Annie somehow ignored my extended, card-bearing hand and rang me up. She then said, "$6.79 please." I kind of gave her a sheepish look and puppy-dog whined at my card. She spotted my card and said, "Oh, when were you going to tell me you had a full card?". I gasped. How could I be such a jerk! It would take like 3 key presses to fix my order! As the flood of embarrassment swept over me, I was unable to comprehend that AA had executed a brilliant psychological maneuver. She had placed me (unjustly I might add) on the defensive. She might as well have asked me when I stopped beating theMonica. "Uh, it's ok, I can use it some other time." "You can use it some other time?" She said, probably feeling guilty. "Yah. It's not a problem.

In the end, it all worked out. I'm now the proud owner of two Charley's cards.

4 Comments:

Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

The lengths to which you'll go for an extra Charley's card...

5:23 AM

 
Blogger Joe said...

I don't know if you've noticed, but cashiers seem to be able to sense your meekness and go after it like, well, something that latches on to other things with ferocious tenacity.

Sorry. It's still early.

8:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so did you get a free sub or are you now just the owner of 2 cards instead of one and had to pay for your sub yesterday? I'm so confused and easily amused.

9:19 AM

 
Blogger roger said...

I now see that my post was unclear. I have 2 Charley's cards because I kept the "freebie" one, paid full price and was given a new one with one stamp. Now, around here, I can only write with clarity OR hilarity. Thanks for pointing out that I missed on both counts. Just kidding. I was worried I wouldn't be able to succinctly desbribe the situation. You don't want everyone to be all, "c'mon, yah, eating lunch, whatever, scroll scroll - where's the punchline?" This is why I'm marginally clever.

3:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home