DO IT TREE!

Monday, October 09, 2006

work funny

I can kill at work. Pretty much kill on-demand. I'm like the IBM of work comedy. I'm not trying to make it sound like I'm all great or something. It's not my jokes that are so great; it's the environment. It's usually so humorless and soul-crushing that any competent attempt at humor is met with guffaws. That's how I like it - easy pickins. In a way, it's like a reverse comedy club, but with similar results. At a comedy club, everyone is drunk and wants to laugh; they're giddy with expectation. At work, everyone (well, most everyone) is sober and doesn't even expect a giggle.

I thought of this when I was on a conference call last week. There were a few of us in an office talking with a prospective employee. He had been at the company many years before and I had seen him here and there. As is my lot in life, I remembered who he was, while he wasn't so sure of me. (At least it wasn't a woman, that makes everyone think you're a stalker). My boss asked him if he remembered Roger. He said the name sounded familiar but he couldn't put a face with the name. I said, "Think very handsome face."

Oh the laugh we had.

2 Comments:

Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

Do you think that you could do a national tour? Things have been really humorless at my office lately.

6:27 AM

 
Blogger Joe said...

It's like the blog version of Office Space...

10:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home