DO IT TREE!

Thursday, March 02, 2006

is it wicked not to care?

It's a tradition in the Catholic church to give something up for the Lenten season. Technically, it's not a tradition, but a rule, and if you disobey - fiery pit of hell for you, sinner. I've always looked to take the easy way out of things, no more clearly demonstrated than I was a young lad and gave up raisins for Lent. You see, I hated raisins. There was no sense risking my eternal soul on something chancier than dried grapes. If I had given up ice cream, I would have surely slipped-up or succumbed to the delicious temptation of that chilly confection. I rightly wagered that I was safer disdaining raisins than anything else. Man was that some easy penance.

You see, that's what Catholicism is all about - the threat of eternal damnation. Well, for youngRoger, classic underachiever, this was perfect synergy, but I have since become wtf?Roger, challenger of self. My resolution this year (and it being the second year is now somewhat of a tradition in its own right (p2thep - parenthetical to the parenthetical - incidentally, in retrospect, my blog was 80% funnier back then, I now tend to complicate things with extraneous words - yo)) for Lent is to not make fun of people. It was a difficult decision, really. My buddy Matt was chagrined when I informed him of my intentions. "Is it right for you to give up something that gives joy to so many?" Well, Jesus? Probably not, but since I haven't heard back from JC, I'm going to take the safer route of not ridiculing people.

Rest easy friends. This does not apply to the blog. It's not making fun of people I relate with in three dimensions, excluding myself (for without that, there would nary be a blog). So celebrities, take note, you're still fair game. My little vow really shouldn't be obvious on my little blog. In fact, I'm not sure it will be noticeable in anyway as far as you're concerned. Why mention it? Just so you know that some guy's blog you sometimes read is slowly dying . . . little by little, unspoken insult by unspoken insult. Can you hear the silent screams of ridicule?

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

I think I'd prefer silent screams of ridicule to the more overt ridicule to which I'm subjected each day.

9:08 AM

 
Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

There was an episode of "Friends" just like this.

Look out - I can already tell you that Ross is going to wear leather pants and you won't be able to do anything about it.

10:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home