DO IT TREE!

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

the dark side

Northeast Ohio (and some parts of Dayton) are riddled with women who turned down my ginormous brain and winning smile. That is all well and good, as I ended up better for it in the end (thanks to theMonica). Well, despite my powerful imagination, these other women continue to exist in all three dimensions and sometimes I see that disappointing manifestation personally.

One of them works in my office building. Way back in the year 1 BtM, I met this lady through a friend here. Let's call her OldWrinklyFace. She wasn't someone I interacted with often, if ever and at the time I didn't recalling seeing her around. I only met her because my friend was being feted with a baby shower. Baby shower ends; I inquire as to her availability, got permission to call her and did. Some other stuff happened - ultimately, we were supposed to go to lunch but we never did because she was getting botox injections or something.

I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I thought she was rude, but whatever - lots of people are - and now I had the upperhand. Since she stood me up, every time she was forced to choke on the searing pain of guilt that she surely felt. I mean, by then she had probably figured out what a cool guy I was.

For the past two and a half years, her guilt has lingered. OldWrinklyFace had not so much as made eye contact with me in all that time. Now the other day I'm going to lunch and she's standing in the lobby. I'm walking by, because she’s forever shamed and not like she’s going to say hi. Then I hear, "See you later." Huh? I look into the guard booth deal and she wasn't talking to anyone in there. I didn't see anyone going into the elevators I had just passed whom she could have been talking to. I figure there's an 80 to 90% chance that she's talking to me. I don't want to say, "See you later," if she wasn't talking to me. I don't waste those on just anybody. At the same time, I don't want to be a jerk, because really I try not to be and in the cosmic/karmic sense I have no problem with her. Barely hesitating and avoiding eye contact, I kind of said, "See you later," as I walked out the door. But I made sure to mumble it so it also sounded like, "Whatever Darth Vader."

5 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

theMonica is a lucky woman indeed. Not only does she wind up with you, but she doesn't have to incur your wrath.

8:56 AM

 
Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Good one Roger. Burn her!

9:11 AM

 
Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

Hold on...you asked out a woman who works in the same office building??? Damn, Roger...that's one of those rules...like the kind that I posted recently. Never date anyone who works in the same office, or same office building.

Unless you're purposefully trying to create blog material.

9:28 AM

 
Blogger roger said...

Gee thanks. Did I sound emotionally needy in that post? I wasn't really, but thanks.

And I've always been a rule breaker, ok, not really, just that once.

10:55 PM

 
Blogger roger said...

Nukie: Yes, but Darth complexion - not so much.

Vino: It's awkward no doubt. Next time pretend like you don't know who he is. That always gives you the upper-hand.

8:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home