DO IT TREE!

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

dare to dream

Alan and I did some judging at the High School Rockoff. Why? Because I love to crush the hopes and dreams of America's youth. That and free drinks. Actually, while I did have a few libations, Simon Cowell I am not. I was sure to ameliorate all my comments and to phrase all my criticisms in the most constructive manner. Of course, the kids will still say I'm a "playa hata" or whatever they're calling older overweight dudes who criticize their musical stylings these days.

Filling out the comments section was a delicate exercise. If I were to comment, "You suck," it might seem harsh, but would surely motivate all the young wanna-be musicians to achieve the glory that is "music Roger likes." Writing a dismissive, "I'm not saying you didn't sound good, but I saw Ashlee Simpson weeping during your set," would surely make one realize singing lessons might be in order - or in the very least would cause them to please, please, please shut-up. Finally, if I were to pen, "I think your music was fine, but you look like Ron Pearlman - and that's not good. There is already one of him," might leave you cold, but let's be realistic; we can't all be famous.

4 Comments:

Blogger Eve Hallow said...

Ron Pearlman is the shit! But I suppose high schoolers don't want to be running around looking all big faced with mediocre musical stylings.

7:53 PM

 
Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

Instead of saying "you suck" you could have said, "Your talent has a Hoover-like quality."

7:03 AM

 
Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Yeah! You tell those kids what is what.

Those damn kids and their rock n roll music!

9:29 AM

 
Blogger Joe said...

But sometimes it is fun to make kids cry. And if you accidently crush a budding superstar, it'll give them a great story to tell in the magazines about how they had to fight through adversity back in Ohio.

So if you look at it that way, you're actually helping them.

9:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home