DO IT TREE!

Thursday, June 23, 2005

woke up this morning

Woke up this morning – you were on my mind. Yah, you were on my mind. Sorry, I started the post then thought of that song (please hold, googling) – well, it’s called, You Were on My Mind by the We Five. No typo. It’s "we" as in us, not "wee" as in petite. On reflection, the "Wee" Five would be a better name. It implies the meaning of the first-person plural pronoun with the added bonus of being a cute play on words. "Oh, I didn't know they were the WEE Five." Kind of like They Might Be Giants. (They're not.) But maybe they were in reality small dudes and "wee" made them feel self-conscious. For instance, you don’t see Tom Cruise going around calling himself Wee Tom Cruise or Tiny Tom or anything like that. Sure you see him going around acting like a madman, spouting off about Katie Holmes and scientology and Katie Holmes "digging" scientology, but never at the end is he like, "And she’s taller than me because I’m a tiny, tiny scientologist." Anywho, that first sentence is about 80% of the total lyrics. There’s a bit about "ramblin' whoah-oh" and so forth, but that’s about all.

So, yah, I woke-up this morning only to "see" my alarm clock time blinking. I say "see" because I didn’t have my contacts in and everything was kind of blur-a-riffic. Oh alarmie – you cad! Did you unplug yourself, go out on the town, replug yourself and then couldn’t remember what time it was? Yah, I wasn’t too worried because it wasn’t completely light out yet. In fact it was about 7, a good 20 to 30 minutes after I normally wake up. That kind of sucks. You would think my body would capitalize on an opportunity like this and sleep in. That’d be fine. I really couldn’t feel guilty if I didn’t get up until 10 because my alarm didn’t go off. I mean, really, it couldn’t be MY fault. And it would be even better if I had slept through the WHOLE work day. "Sorry, power went out," I would say at 5 p.m. "Alarm clock with battery back-up? Really? Something you can get here in the US? And another one that resets itself. Wow," I would add, seemingly shocked. But instead of massive amounts of glorious sleep, I get in just late enough to make it seem like I drank too much at the Indians game on Wednesday night and needed a couple extra Zs. Alarmie is a cruel appliance.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The nice thing about not having to go into work until 4:30 or 9 pm is that you rarely oversleep (it has happened, but that is another story).

I once thought I was being all "responsible" by putting backup batteries in my alarm clock.

Unfortunately, mama drinks.

The result: the next time my power went out, the alarm still didn't go off. Cornfused, I looked at the batteries. Being the genius that I am, I WISELY placed 2 AA batteries in there. Of course, it took an 8V battery. Surely, it counts for something.

8:34 PM

 
Blogger Joe said...

To the contrary, Roger. It appears that your alarm clock calculated exactly how much extra sleep you'd need, was aware that you'd drank a little too much at the Indians game - and thus would be putting it's own life in jeopardy by intruding on your sleep with an irritating buzzing noise - and did the only thing it knew how; unplugged itself and blinked furiously to get your attention.

Where do I get one of those?

9:03 AM

 
Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

Um, I actually have 2 alarm clocks, because I have a bad habit of turning them off in my sleep. This morning alarm clock number one would not stop buzzing after I repetedly hit the snooze button, so I picked it up and whacked it a few times, and it still didn't stop. Finally I turned on the light & realized that it was alarm clock #2 beeping.

Erm....

9:23 AM

 
Blogger roger said...

Back in the day, I had to tape down the dial to turn the alarm clock off because I had a habit of shutting it off and going back to bed. Then I bought one of those clocks that resets itself if the power goes out. That worked fine, but for some reason it would only let you snooze 6 or 7 times and then it would stop going off. I need the ability to snooze at least a dozen times; I mean, what if I'm hungover?

8:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home