DO IT TREE!

Friday, July 29, 2011

back to school

And unlike Rodney, I need to do well. And I'm scared.

I am taking a class at a college, for like a grade and stuff. If you're keeping score at home, I am now 35. For a while now, I've been thinking about going back, because I'm interested and because my work has a generous reimbursement program. (Well, provided I get B or above, which is the scary part.)

I haven't been in a classroom since 1999. It is a "maths" class as the kids call it these days. It's not Teacher Lady math, it's like math for dummies. Intro to Discrete Mathematics.

I will eventually decide if I want to try to get a masters in computer information systems. That's a long way away since I undergrad-ed in MIS, which was computers for dummies (going into businessy things). So I have a bunch of pre-reqs, the first of which is the intro math course.

I have to go now. I just got the book (where were for-real used textbooks when I was in school? 30 bucks instead of 125) nd I need to commit it to memory before the 27th.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Teacher Lady said...

I completely sympathize. My first semester back, I had to drop a class because I was having to do so much review of the prerequisite classes I had taken 10 years before.

I suggest if you need help with your course check out Math Central's Quandaries & Queries . They have a database of already answered questions. If they don't have answer to your question, they will answer it within a couple days.

11:21 PM

 
Blogger roger said...

Yes! Thanks! Ace in the hole!

What about Khan Academy? Have you looked at any of those videos? Do you think they're any good? (Or the exercises?)

4:02 PM

 
Blogger Bronwyn said...

Wow, good for you!!!! I took math for dummies once. Got a 52%. You will do much better.

Also, Discrete Math makes me think that it isn't into PDAs.

6:50 PM

 
Blogger Teacher Lady said...

I'd be a little cautious about Khan Academy. Myself and other teachers have found several errors in their videos. I'll see if I can come up with some other websites that might help.

7:08 PM

 
Blogger roger said...

That's no good! I had heard that you have to watch with some of the exercises, but you have to get the videos right!

9:29 AM

 
Blogger roger said...

May-B: Yes, discrete math is a gentle lover.

9:29 AM

 
Blogger Teacher Lady said...

Khan Academy Videos - do they Work?

1:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home