DO IT TREE!

Thursday, October 30, 2008

9 times . . .

That's how often I looked dejectedly behind me to see a puck within the confines of my net. You know, it does look kind of cozy and safe in there. Maybe I'll just curl up in there until everyone goes away . . .

Being a goalie is a weird gig. Everybody loves you BECAUSE you're a goalie and inherently a rare commodity. They need you. But, when you suck, you can feel the hate - the smiling, judging, watching. No one (well, no one that I know of) will say, "Hey, you really sucked out there." Because they don't want that bridge burned and I think they fancy that if they were to criticize they would irreparably harm the goalie's psyche.

So, when you give up 9, even if the team doesn't play well, you feel kind of dirty when a teammate will say, "We had a terrible game, but YOU did great!" I feel like one of those kids that plays in a community where they don't keep score. "Thanks for showing up and dressing yourself! You're always a winner in my eyes Roger!" Yah, well, maybe, but I just let those guys score 9 times and I'm pretty sure they were hammered.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

I learned my lesson back when I played roller hockey and criticized our goalie. He stormed off and I had to play the rest of the game in his place and I got shelled.

So...um...I'm sure you were great, Roger!

12:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch.

I was a goalie for my intramural soccer team once.

Once.

4:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My h.s. soccer coach wanted me to "try" in goal when our one superstar goalie got hurt. She snorted when he suggested it.

11:28 PM

 
Blogger roger said...

Joe: First roller hockey game I ever played I literally thought I was going to die - most exhausting experience ever. Fortunately, we got mercy-ruled early in the second half (they had halves in this league).

Sarah: Truly not for everyone.

RS2: You did block the ball with anything necessary playing softball . . . ZING!

9:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have told you that you sucked it out there. Sucked it like whoa.

But you know, that is how I roll.

8:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So 9 goals is pretty good for you, right?

3:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home