DO IT TREE!

Thursday, October 11, 2007

grammar is always pertinent, right?

So, we are 24 days away from my hitchin'. That's what you call it when you're 50% hillbilly. And then you get a moonshine jug and some spoons and somebody fetches a fiddle! Yeehaw!

The invitation lady told theMonica that a response card line should read, "Number of vegetarian meal requested." I call balderdash. I think it should be "Number of vegetarian mealS requested" (except no capital "s" emphasizing the difference between meal and mealS). I am too lazy to actually look this up. And even if technically "meal" is correct I contend that it's one of those usage(s) which is so archaic so as to be rendered meaningless. The language has moved on. The correct usage is meals. As you can see, I've neatly set-up the problem so that I can not be wrong. That's how you debate!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I call it balderdash because red meat is so delicious.

But I think you're right about the "s." For serious; would you say "number of guest"? No. You wouldn't.

11:27 PM

 
Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

It's totally balderdash. The same kind of people who say "number of vegetarian meal" are the same people you ask for "two beer."

2:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have asked "number of vegetarians you wish to have as a meal".

Darn me for not checking up with you frequently enough!

8:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home