DO IT TREE!

Friday, June 09, 2006

that's really messed up

Last week I attended a co-worker's retirement "party." I say "party" because no one got drunk - not even the retiree. I think everyone was depressed because it made us think about the 34, 35 years that were left until we got to retire. At least that's what I was thinking about. I've got 30+ years left as a working stiff and look at this smug bastard, getting retirement gifts. Damn! It was truly an Office Space moment. "So it means that every single day you see me, that's on the worse day of my life."

I worked with him for seven years and he was my "mentor" in the beginning of my career. I say "mentor" because really he just gave me stuff to do and let me on my own. Perfect for me because that's how I like to work, but others might prefer more direction. I congratulated him, shook his hand and thought about how I'd probably never see him again. And that he wouldn't have to get up early to go to work the next day. That kind of upset me.

Then I remembered he took a job working at a K-Mart somewhere to consume some of his time. I am NOT going to be one of those people who is lacking in things to do upon retirement. I have hobbies, that take time that I don't have right now. Would I do them though if I had a preponderance of time? Or is my lack of time the thing that gets me focused on, let's say, writing posts for this blog? In this case, I'm at work, but I am leaving as soon as I'm done with this. What motivates me to hack away at piano keys when I improve at the rate of glacial movement? Why do I waste my time trying to learn new things? I'm not sure, but I hope when I retire I'm not a greeter at Wal-Mart. I hope I'm so busy writing a kick-ass blog (let's face it, by then I should be good at it, no?), taking college courses and schooling my grandkids at basketball that I don't suffer the anxieties of nothing to do. Wish me luck.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nukie said...

I'm guessing that in 30 years blogging will be, more or less an art form. Then again, greeting may also be one.

1:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home