DO IT TREE!

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Netflix: Mommie Dearest (1981)

Wow.

That Joan Crawford was nuttier than a PayDay. Mommie Dearest tells the tale of the cruel existence that was Christina Crawford's early years. Adopted by Joan - who knows why - Christina is subject to the whimsy that is severe mental instability. Worst of all, ensconsed in her big mansion with those around her unable or unwilling to criticize, her eldest daughter is subjected to sadistic (although somehow hysterical) mental and physical abuse.

I don't have anything inciteful to say about this flick (big surprise, I know). But the sheer insanity of it made fom a good viewing. Also of note: in the infamous "NO WIRE HANGERS!" scene, Joan casually mentions that she had bought Christina a dress for 300 dollars, which Christina has subsequently hung on a wire hanger. (The ridiculousness of which I am still unable to discern. Do wire hangers leave creases in your clothes? If Joan visited my closet, I'd get the beating of a lifetime.) I thought to myself, "Three bones, that's some serious cash. Even now, let alone back in the day." Enter, The Inflation Calculator. According to said tool, 300 dollars in 1949 (a rough estimate based on how old Christina looked in the movie) is equivalent to $2302.29 in 2005 dollars. 2302 is also the equivalent of the purchase price of my entire wardrobe times 7.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

I foiled the Milky Way bars in my cupboard by eating every single last one of them.

8:28 PM

 
Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

My favorite scene is when she goes psycho on the rose garden and screams, "TIIINNNNAAAAAA, BRING ME THE AXE!!!!!!!!!"

1:40 PM

 
Blogger roger said...

It was such great fun to watch.

12:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home