DO IT TREE!

Monday, November 07, 2005

Netflix: Alfie

Alfie was a HUGE disappointment.

Imagine my surprise when I was expected this:

And instead got this:

The movie wasn't much of a stretch for Jude as it parelleled his life nicely. In this case, life imitating art imitating life or I guess we'll never know which came first. Alfie, through the abuse of soliliquy, answers the troubling question of what it would be like to be Jude Law's most-trusted confidante. Alfie preens and whines his way through the overly long movie lamenting the guilt he feels over objectifying and using women while simultaneously being unable to remain faithful. It was the sort of insincere self-confessional drivel that passes as "enlightenment" these days. Not only that, but it was ineffectual. By the end of it, Alfie, cold and alone, ponders his future and all I could think to ask theMonica was, "Am I supposed to care?" Oh Alfie - you incorrigible cad - when will you learn!

Dullness of the movie aside, the most striking scene had to be the one which featured Stephen Gaghan - mostly known for writing the screenplay for Traffic - as the new-found love of Marissa Tomei's character. I vaguely recognized him, but don't remember finding him as disturbing as I did in his short cameo. Frankly to me he looked like the unholy love child of Kevin Bacon and Mick Jagger:

Try quieting those demons just before bedtime.

1 Comments:

Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

I've never been a fan of movie remakes anyway. And Jude Law is a twat.

11:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home