DO IT TREE!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

good news; bad news

The bad news is I haven't blogged in weeks. The good news is, in that time I haven't severely injured my son. Go ME!

So, we are letting cuddlebunnies "cry it out." For the uninitiated this is when your baby starts crying at night, you lie in bed staring at the monitor and go, "OMG STFU!" but in your whisper (2000) voice as you don't want the baby more awakey.

CIO is the new strategy for this week. The old strategy was to go in there every time he cried, give him a bottle, check for boogeyman, etc. I was ok with this, but then I started to get the feeling he was just messing with me. Like he was perfectly fine, but preferred to be held and rocked and sung They Might Be Giants songs*. I was ok with that too, because before he'd fall asleep rather quickly, I'd put him down and he'd be out for the night. BUT THEN, it was like TMBG and MILK weren't good enough and he'd kind of scream at me the whole time. (I know this could be way clearer, but I'll be damned if I'm going back to edit.) Finally, I'd get him to fall asleep and I'd gingerly put him back in his crib and oh how he'd scream and scream. He'd be PISSED. After repeating the process 2 or 3 times this becomes really stressful. So, for the sake of the family, we're trying to let him cry. Let the tears roll down his face. And if the sun comes out tomorrow - dang, who knows Hootie lyrics? Comment below.

Anyway, CIO was made for me as YOU DON'T DO ANYTHING! All I have to do is sit there and feel the crushing guilt of ignoring my first born son. That's it! Ok, if he cries for 5 minutes, I have to get up, go in, rub his back, give him his blankie, tell him everything's going to be all right, fist bump, leave the room. If he keeps crying, next time I wait for 10 minutes. After that time, if he's still crying 10 to 15 minutes later the book says he might not be ready for CIO.

I'm don't want to jinx it, but it's been going pretty well. Last night he got to phase 3, but it was kind of tainted because he wasn't crying the whole time, more falling asleep for a minute or two, cry for a minute, rinse and repeat. (Which reminds me. Who washes their hair twice in one shower? That's f'ed up.)

It is so easy, but so hard. You do feel guilty. But, best part, next morning HE STILL LOVES YOU! It's fantastic. It's like he can't remember your negligence in the least. Silly, undeveloped baby brain!

<No Jinx>It has absolutely made bedtime easier. I carry him in, he puts his thumb in his mouth, grabs his blanket and starts sleeping pretty much immediately.</No Jinx>

There you have it. That's how you parent. PA-POW!

Be sure to remember to crow loudly after new week's, Dear God, my child is a holy non-sleeping terror.

*Sadly, he's grown tired of Randy Newman. We're on TMBG and some Kinks. Stop your sobbing works - hand to God.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Teacher Lady said...

I love the idea of baby fist bumps.

6:41 PM

 
Blogger LynnieC said...

I like the idea of singing Kinks songs to your baby.

4:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home