DO IT TREE!

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Glengarry Glen Ross

We all know it, yes?

I fear there is a crisis that I should have helped to divert much earlier in my blog's life. I was watching a re-run of Saturday Night Live, I assume it was Alec Baldwin's most recent appearance. The did a sketch, an homage, really, to Baldwin's scene in Glengarry Glen Ross. It's absolutely classic. The scene that is. The homage was even pretty good. Any scene that features dialogue like, "The real favor, follow my advice and fire your fucking ass because a loser is a loser," or "What's your name? --Fuck you that's my name," is something we should all know and love. (Alec Baldwin's character likes to swear doing his salesrep "pep talk.")

But I noticed something. The audience wasn't laughing at the right times. They didn't laugh when it was obvious what was going on. Nor did they stand up and cheer when that revelation should have been cascading down upon them. This was all very odd to me. Surely they knew what was happening. When he turned over the chalkboard to reveal, "A - Always B - Be C - Cobbling" (Cobbling instead of Closing), there was no murmur of recognition. WTF?

This my friends, is unacceptable. See this movie. It's an actor's paradise featuring a number of brilliant performances. Jack Lemmon especially is great. Even Kevin Spacey does well. (Unfortunately for him, it looks like he's in line for the role of John Mark Karr in the JonBenet Ramsey made-for-tv movie.)

That is all.

4 Comments:

Blogger roger said...

Yes Roger, this is a - dare I say - fucking awesome movie!

3:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roger, Spacey is great in everything his does.

How can you speak that way about Kaiser Soze?

2:31 PM

 
Blogger roger said...

That wasn't met as a dig on Spacey, who I think is a fine actor. But in this case, he has to do well just to tread water. There are a lot of great perfomances.

1:51 PM

 
Blogger roger said...

meant - I am stupid today (more so).

1:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home