DO IT TREE!

Friday, May 12, 2006

disappointment to follow

I have a nice watch. I spent way too much on it, but it was a symbolic item for me - symbolic of the time. But it was more than that. I bought it when I was going through a difficult period in my life and for me it came to represent my internal fortitude and love of always having the time at hand, err, wrist. At any rate, my watch suffered an injury. The clasp broke; even though it was supposedly made of titanium. Tibreakium they should call it - LOL ;)

I took the watch back to the jeweler where I purchased it. I got an estimate and agreed to have it repaired. I also had two other watches with me that had dead batteries. Watches I hadn't worn since I bought my super-cool-nearly-indestructible-emotionally-significant watch. The clerk lady takes the watches back to the master watchsmith and I stand around sweating my ass off (for whatever reason they keep the store at a comfy 94 degrees). After about five minutes, the clerk comes back out with the watches, "That's five dollars a piece." Ok. "AND he set the correct time," she says as she shows me the CORRECT TIME - gasp.

Is that the state of customer service these days? He set the correct time. And she looked at me like I should be applauding him or something. I guess he had other options: leave the watches set at whatever random time they stopped on or set the watches ten minutes slow so I was late to everything. But it would seem that setting the correct time would be the most logical choice.

I kind of giggled to myself and handed over the money. The clerk didn't pick up on the subtle-humor-but-not-that-funny vibe of the moment (she would totally hate on this blog). Here demeanor spoke loud and clear: you don't get that kind of service at the mall watch hut, my friends.

7 Comments:

Blogger Nukie said...

I think I'm more interested in knowing about the tough time in your life. Does that make me a busy body vouyeer or just a blogger?

11:52 AM

 
Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

My husband would love to set people's watches to the "correct time," and then he would look all triumphant about it. But he likes to set clocks to the atomic clock. I'm married to a nerd.

1:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you at least look at some rings while you where there? Hint Hint ; )

5:43 PM

 
Blogger Joe said...

Good thing you reacted positively. Otherwise she'd have had to break out the "And he used the Atomic Clock to set them!" line.

5:44 PM

 
Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

Nukie, vouyeer isn't a word. I'm always having to correct your spelling and usage.

Roger, you're lucky you got off with 5 bucks a piece and sweaty pits. Here in NYC the customer service is so bad that she would have insulted your mother before telling you that he set the correct time.

3:53 PM

 
Blogger Bronwyn said...

"Your mother wears army boots, but you have the correct time now."

4:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm back.

7:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home