DO IT TREE!

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

more hoboes!

There seems to be a lot of curiosity and concern about my many, many hobo run-ins. So, allow me to take some time to humor you and flatter myself.

I think there a lot of reasons why I have so many encounters with hoboes:

  1. Travel Time. When I'm in my shiny, new lot, I have about a 30-second walk. While it takes me a good 10 to 12 minutes to walk to old reliable. Now, despite my post about having a new lot in my life, more often than not, I'm in the old lot. With the return of warm weather, I will almost always be parking in my old lot. More time out on the streets means more "opportunities" for running into hoboes.

  2. Good Disposition. I'm have a really hard time completely ignoring someone. If a hobo starts talking to me, I will at least afford him the respect of listening to what he has to say, even if it's some crazy story about being tossed around by ghosts inside a cemetery mausoleum. I'm as cold-and-dead inside as the next guy, but I'm unable to pretend people don't exist. Yet.

  3. Talking Tribe. Indians games increase exponentially the number of hoboes on the street. My long haul to my parking lot takes me right by the hobo hotbed that is Jacob's Field

  4. Bad sense of smell. I'm told dry heaving works wonders at keeping hoboes away. Unfortunately, my sniffer is barely functional; the gag reflex is avoided; the hobo happily approaches.

  5. Hobo networking. I'm convinced there's a Cleveland top 10 hobo target list posted on hobo.com. They see me and they get the dollar signs in there eyes and they bring out their "A" game in an effort for some cash. While I've cooled considerably on the amount of cash I dole out, it still has to be like 40% of my income.


I hope this isn't your first time to this blog, because right now you'd be thinking, WTF?

3 Comments:

Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

And it's funny because this is the first time I'm commenting on your blog.

But my husband has the same rapport with the hobo crowd. He once met a guy ostensibly from the future, on the bus, and Chris ended up taking this guy to Dairy Queen and a movie. (Apparently said man from the future was in training as God's replacement. He said he'd put in a good word for Chris, once he started his new job.)

Once we got out to Vancouver Island, which is homeless heaven (it doesn't get cold here, unlike the rest of Canada), Chris has made all kinds of hobo friends. We were walking down the street one day and a group of homeless people invited him to hang out with them in their tent city. He had to decline, because we had to get somewhere.

And now May-B will make fun of me for making long comments on other people's blogs.

8:21 PM

 
Blogger Bronwyn said...

Yes, I will. And hobos are nice. I work with them every day. One calls himself "The King" and invited me to Hawaii.

10:53 PM

 
Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

If it weren't for the hoboes, where would you get all of your blog posts???

1:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home