DO IT TREE!

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

more bands to hate on me for liking

I was going to write a long post about a show Alan and I went to and how it was really good and I enjoyed it and blahbitty, blah. And I had this joke about how my ears just now stopped ringing. It was going to be funny because I was going to write it the week after the show (November 10th). But then, I was lazy for a few weeks there my whole life and now, rather than being funny, if my ears were still ringing you'd probably get really concerned and set-up a Roggie Fund to get my hearing tested and possibly new cochlea tubes. I think I invented a medical procedure . . .

So this show had some bands playing, but it was further enhanced by a the wasted somersaulting teenager who attended. Happily foisting a mixed drink in his x-marked hand, he took short breaks from walking into people to do somersaults on the floor. Why? I do not know why. Perhaps a failed attempt at breakdance? Most people were riding the annoyed to amused spectrum on the kid. I was mostly amused but afraid he was going to puke on me. Eventually I assume he puked on someone, probably outside, as last I saw he was making the finger-on-the-mouth puke face and running out of the club. Here's to not losing it on the dance floor; the first step to being able to hold your liquor!

Anywho, the bands I so thoroughly enjoyed were Machine Go Boom and Bears. You, should you chose not to be a loser, will also enjoy them.

RS3 gave me a Machine Go Boom cd a couple (few?) years back and I've been rockin' it ever since. MGB fit into my quirk band paradigm, which I explained whilst discussing Pixies. Bears are more of a straight-ahead kind of band (plus glockenspiel!). They have a familiar sound which I can't quite put my finger on. The gentle harmonics of a Fruit Bats, plus Shin-like arrangements plus a 60's pop subtlety.

Boy am I glad I don't write about music because that was perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever written. It's music; it's good; check it out. The end.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Are you sure that he wasn't puking due to an inner ear problem created by the somersaults? Perhaps he was just drinking to ease the pain...

On a random note, I keep reading about the Pixies these days - particularly about how influential they were. To me, that merely cements your status as a trendsetter.

10:19 AM

 
Blogger Nukie said...

Wasn't Hall and Oats the last band you wrote about ?

9:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home