DO IT TREE!

Thursday, April 14, 2005

performance anxiety

Sometimes at work someone will come to me for help with a problem they are unable to solve. (Not that I'm a mega-genius or anything, but we all have are specialties.) The person will come over and say, "I've been looking at this all day and I can't figure out how to make it work. Can you help me?" I, being a sucker, am more than happy to help. So they explain the problem to me and I say ok, I'll take a look at it. And then . . . they stand there . . . waiting. Not only am I supposed to help, but I'm also supposed to help so quickly that they can comfortably stand in my cube before our internal awkwardness clocks go off emitting shrill cries with red lights flashing. And really, you can't comfortably stare at someone thinking for very long before it starts to feel weird. Quick answer or not, once the person stays in the cube, all I can think about is how they should just go back to their own damn cube and let me be in peace for a minute. I'm not thinking about their problem at all. Sheesh. You can't figure something out for an entire day and I only get 12 seconds? That is not cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home