DO IT TREE!

Monday, August 27, 2012

Becoming Crossfit?

So, I've joined this gym near my house.  This is a departure for me.  I've never been "gym guy".  Not that I'm too cool or cool at all, but I've always preferred working out on my own and feeling the burning shame of failure with only my own person.

Crossfit is not like that.

What is it?  You can read all about it here.   My barebones-simple explanation is that it focusing on functional movements, without neglecting building strength.  It strives to create strong athletes who would be competent in any endeavor.  You don’t do much standing around; the workouts are short-ish but intense and sometimes make you feel like you're going to die.

It also has a strong Olympic lifting component, which I’ve always wanted to try.
But the olympic lifts are more like learning a golf swing than a bench press, so I've never been willing to try on my own.  This was wise.

The coaching is a big advantage.  You’re getting small-group training every time out and coach Dave is the real deal.  He's even complimented my "tight snatch."  Joking aside, there a lot of criticisms out on the etherweb about the deficiencies of Crossfit.  I think the root of those criticisms is most likely poor coaching.  Something to keep in mind if you decide to check it out.

Exercises are modified for your abilities.  I'm always rocking a band or strap or walker.  It really can be for everyone.

OH!  And people root you on!  Well, provided they're done and you're not (usually the case for me).  It's kind of embarrassing.  “C’mon Roger!  Keep going!”  “Ok.  Right after I kick my lung out of the way here.”

I’ve also been going at 0600  - which is early, yo.  But, so far, so good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home